Thursday, September 30, 2010

Date Night

So my husband decided to plan a surprise date night for me. In preparation he made reservations, booked the babysitter & decided he should maybe just let Skylar know the plan so that she is prepared tomorrow for the surprise also.

Turns out that telling her today was not a good idea. So I am bathing Sadie & Skylar & Daddy are hanging out in the living room. D'Arcy whispers to Skylar that he has a surprise planned for me tomorrow night & that he is taking me on a date. He said her face dropped immediately & tears began to well up in her eyes - But Shelby your favourite babysitter is coming . . . . Skylar comes running into the bathroom crying & when I ask her what happened she responds "I can't tell you what Daddy said".

Children are interesting that way. She plans each night & has friends come & go continually through the week. She plays from basically after supper to bed time as she should. But if I go for coffee with a friend (which believe me is like never) I get tears & "but you just went out" (18 days ago!). Half the time she is trying to get us out of her way so that her & her friends can use the living room but if we plan a date we get "Don't you want to spend time with me Mommy?".

I am continually reminded by D'Arcy that kids have a limited vision of life. They think primarily of themselves and are learning to broaden their understanding of others & learn empathy.

Goodness complicated little creatures they are? Do they spend this much time deciphering us? I think not. I often wonder who indeed is in control - are we really or are they just leading us to believe we are?

No comments:

Post a Comment