Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Shopping as a "Mom"

Sky & I did a little shopping tonight and I came to a very scary realization. We were browsing through the young girls clothes & I kept thinking to myself - these are some ugly bright busy clothes. The 80's are returning & it is not good. Skylar was showing me the clothes she wanted to try on & I was thinking - really? You like that? Then it hit me like a tonne of bricks. I am not cool. I cannot comment on fashion for my young daughter. If the whole department has the same sort of clothes - that is the fashion - whether I think it is or not. I AM NOT COOL. Ugh - what a realization - total burst to my ego. I then just about went to the thought that I was turning into my mother but quickly shut that down. No need to go there now.

So I have resolved that as long as the clothing fits appropriately, is not revealing, has a positive message (no skulls or vampires), and is something daddy won't veto then I am going to let my girl be a young girl & enjoy it. I am pretty sure that my mom did not like me wearing pajama pants, neon shirts, scrunchies that matched my shirt (okay maybe she did like that), wearing my sweatshirts inside out, acid wash jeans, "Choose Life" shirts, but she let me and I thought I was pretty "cool".

So I guess the next "issue" will be heels & makeup? Give me strength!

1 comment:

  1. What? Our kids don't think we're cool? No way! lol. That's the thing about my kids, they're still a little fooled. Sometimes I think that Jordan is on the verge of figuring it out though.

    I don't think I ever wore my shirt inside out.

    Slouch socks and leg warmers!!! And stirrup pants covered only by massive sweaters that I'd pick out of the men's department!! Woohoo!

    I'm sure we were cool. No worries.

    I agree though - as long as my girls are covered, I'm going to bite my tongue on the stupid trends. There will be so much more BIG stuff later.

    What's Skyler now, in grade 3?

    Just think, in a couple of years she'll want a bra. How scary will that be? We were all in grade 5 when the craze hit my class.

    ReplyDelete